Thursday, September 8, 2016

Harry Potter Thursday: Who would you want as House Dormmates at Hogwarts?




Harry Potter Thursday is a weekly meme created by Uncorked Thoughts.

Whenever I reread the Harry Potter books, I tend to start from the beginning and somewhere around books three or four I tend to get distracted and start reading something else. The biggest downside to this is that I tend to not read the last three books in the series, which is sad for me because these are the books where the most Ravenclaws are mentioned.

I've taken the Pottermore Sorting Hat quiz twice and both times I was sorted into Ravenclaw, which made me very happy. Assuming their yearly student quota is similar to Gryffindor's of five students per year, I'm going to try and choose which four other students I'd want to room with for seven years of magical education.

Let me say, before I start, that I'm going into this assuming that Hogwarts would suddenly have co-ed dorms and that any of these students would either age suddenly or get younger in a hurry and we'd all have our seven years at Hogwarts together. Also, there's the possibility that I'd be attempting to get certain students resorted into my House so we could all hang out together.


Luna Lovegood

Luna is probably an obvious choice as she is the most talked about member of Ravenclaw. I feel like she'd be someone amazing to be around. Sure there are things about her that would probably be a bit grating if I had to deal with them for hundreds of days in a row, but I'm pretty good at tolerating things in roommates so I think we'd get over it. She believes in a lot of fantastical things, so she'd always be up for believing me if I had a story to tell. She's got a near encyclopedic knowledge of magical creatures, so she'd be the Ravenclaw answer to Hermione Granger for homework help. Plus, she's a nice person that stands beside you when things get rough and that would be essential in wizarding high school.


Scorpius Malfoy

I read Cursed Child and I could not see how Scorpius was sorted into Slytherin, it just didn't make any sense. He didn't have any of the qualities that we saw exhibited in Slytherins and I felt like he did have a lot more Ravenclaw type qualities: he had the brains, the more even temper. He seemed like a nice person that would be a really considerate roommate.


Arthur Weasley

I don't see how Arthur and Luna wouldn't get along. He's basically the Muggle-centric version of her. And, as a Muggle born witch, we'd hit it off because I'd be able to explain all this crazy Muggle stuff to him in exchange for him explaining crazy Magic stuff to me.


Angelina Johnson

At first glance, Angelina and I don't really have anything in common. She's much more into sports than I am, having been a member of the Quidditch team throughout her school years. However, I think she more than proved herself to be an amazing person and student in terms of educational means and in terms of honesty and bravery when confronted with adversity (i.e. Dark Wizards attacking the school and the students within). Having a dorm full of students all alike would get boring after awhile, so why not room with someone who is cool but not so alike that we'd end up hating each other?







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

2 comments:

  1. Great picks! I'd honestly have to agree with all of them. Luna would be an incredible roommate plus I've always wanted to get more of an insight of her. And Scorpius is so considerate and lovely, he'd be a great roomie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! I think there might be a bit of tension in the air with such strong personalities, some more outspoken, some more "airy", but in the end there'd be a lot of fun and woe betide the person that tried to mess with their dorm mate!

      Delete