Friday, September 9, 2016

TAG: Pokemon GO! Book Tag


This tag was created by Aentee from Read at Midnight, though I found this tag via Jess from Princessica of Books. Both bloggers are fun to read, especially this tag post. Please have a look.

I'm an old school Pokemon fan. I grew up with the anime, watched every episode of the original series, etc. I wanted to have the games when they first came out, but at the time I didn't have a GameBoy. Now, though, I'm old enough to enjoy the fandom at will and I have been having a lot of fun searching out Pokemon in the real world with Pokemon Go.

When I saw that Jess had done this tag, I had to read her post and then I decided that I just had to do this tag myself! The questions are cute and a good sidekick to the game (which, if you haven't tried yet, please do!). 


Starters: The Book That Started Your Love of Reading

I don't have that great of a memory, especially if we are talking about ten to twenty years, but I think that it had to have either been Anne of Green Gables or A Wrinkle in Time. I remember reading both when I was young and loving them a lot. We were supposed to read A Wrinkle in Time in class that year, but I couldn't wait and read ahead while the others read their chapters aloud. It was that good!


Pikachu: An Iconic Classic You'll Always Love

There are so many to choose from. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has been a favorite of mine for some time now. I re-read it several times a year, even. Harry Potter, of course, but is it a classic yet? Yeah, just answered my own question there. *lol* Harry Potter will never get old. There's something new, some new way to think, every time I go back to read it. I don't think that'll ever stop being amazing to me.



Zubat:  A Book You Lost Interest In Because It's Literally Everywhere

I hate to say it, but the Divergent series has become more of a chore to think about reading than something I really want to finish. It was overhyped when it first came out, but I thought I would give it a try anyway. The first book, or at least the first half of it, is pretty good, but then I got spoiled for the ending of Allegiant because everyone was talking about it. After that, I got kind of bored with it. There didn't seem to be a lot of reason to push through the slow bits when I knew where it was all going.


Ditto: A Book That Reminds You of Other Books (Tropes) But You Still Love Anyway

Red Queen was a book that a lot of people told me was incredibly similar to other YA books, but I wanted to give it a chance anyway. I'm happy that I did. It does, admittedly, have all the things I was warned about, but it still had enough of it's own energy to make me like it.


Snorlax: A Book/Series You Have Not Started Because of Sheer Size

I can't think of a series that I haven't read any of, but there are a few I have picked up a volume in the series, read a couple chapters, then realized how enormous the undertaking is and backed off for awhile in favor of something else, the Discworld series chief among them.


Gengar: A Book That Kept You Up At Night

Creed by Trisha Leaver was a spooky one. It was like the novelization of a horror movie. I don't recall liking it very much in the end, but the reading of it up to a point was nerve wracking, especially when I started reading it around midnight.


Nidoking/Nidoqueen: Your Bookish OTP

I don't think I have as strong feelings as some towards certain couples. There are a few I like that may or may not be canon: Hermione/Viktor for one; Ronan/Adam; Celaena/Dorian. 


Rapidash: A Fire Hot, Fast Paced Read


Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris was a real hot read and I think it was for two reasons. The first is because I went into it knowing that there were bad things afoot instead of thinking things were okay at first and finding to the contrary 50 pages in. The second is that I picked this book up while I was working and I had to shelve it, but having peeked at the first page while doing so I was hooked! Once I finally sat down to read it I was done in a matter of a day or two.


Eevee: Series You'll Never Get Tired of Seeing Spin-offs For 

My first answer feels like it should automatically be Harry Potter, but I was badly burned by Cursed Child, so I think anymore books in the HP series will have me very hesitant. 

Besides that, I don't think I could ever be tired of Percy Jackson books. I've only read two of them so far, but Rick Riordan has a writing style that doesn't seem to be waning any time soon.


Magikarp: A Book/Series That Was Surprisingly Awesome

Genshiken is a manga series that bored me at first, but I decided to give the rest of the series a chance. I reread the first book and continued onward, finding it to be much better the second time around. The series got a lot better. The first read might have just occurred at a bad time for me. I'm glad I went on with it because there's a lot of fandom culture regarding cosplay, anime, and video games discussed in later volumes.


Legendary: An Overhyped Series You're Still Excited to Read

The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater is an overhyped series that I really need to get around to reading. I keep meaning to, but I misplaced my copy of The Raven Boys so that binge is on hold for a bit.


Mew & Mewtwo: A Collector's Edition You Wish You Owned

I went to Books of Wonder for the first time earlier this year and saw a signed first edition of Prisoner of Azkaban. That is my favorite Harry Potter book and I would love to have that. I think it was something like $400, though. :(


Poke-Egg: A Debut Novel You're Very Excited For

You Don't Me But I Know You by Rebecca Barrow sounds particularly interesting. It sounds like it could be really sad, but there's a lot of potential for hope, so maybe it will work out in the end? I'll have to wait until next year to find out, sadly, but I'll be sure to keep a sharp eye out for an ARC. :)


Lure Module: An Auto-Buy Author

Neil Gaiman. It doesn't matter what genre it is. Childrens, adult, non fiction: whatever it is, I will buy it. 


Server's Down: A Book Release You've Been Waiting on Forever

I have to wait until 2019 for the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix which I am especially looking forward to for two reasons: 1) it's my second favorite book in the series, and 2) it is the biggest book in the series and I can't wait to see how big this thing is going to be!







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment