Thursday, December 1, 2016

Harry Potter Thursday: One Thing I Would Change About the Goblet of Fire Film




Harry Potter Thursday is a weekly meme created by Uncorked Thoughts.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was, sadly, never my favorite movie in the series. There was a lot that happened in that novel that was either cut from the movie or butchered almost beyond recognition. Granted it was never my favorite novel (that honor belongs to Prisoner of Azkaban), but I still had a lot that I was looking forward to in the fall of 2005.

One of the things that I was looking forward to the most was the Quidditch World Cup. A lot is made of it in the book. The Weasleys can't stop talking about how unique of an opportunity it is for the Cup to be held in England and how lucky they are to get tickets (regardless of price, simply at all). With all of the sports talk between different members of the family, I found myself as excited as Harry.

The beginning footage looked amazing. When the Weasleys, Diggorys, Harry, and Hermione all arrived at the campgrounds, you could feel the excitement. It was like going to a Harry Potter convention and knowing that something awesome was right around the corner.


While we couldn't get all of the minutae of their walk through the campgrounds (meeting Ludo Bagman, buying souveniers, etc.), I was still happy once they got to the stands. I don't quite understand why the filmmakers changed the seating arrangements around (book: everyone is in the top box, tense moments with the Malfoys; movie: top of the stadium is suddenly bad and the Malfoys are lower down, still snide), but moving on.


I went to see this movie at the midnight premiere by myself, so I didn't have anyone to talk whisper to in the theater about this, but once the teams were introduced, I sort of wondered why we didn't get the introduction to the Bulgarian team mascot (Veelas). The Irish team display was still visually impressive.


Bulgaria was a bit of a letdown as it was merely a team introduction rather than the spectacle from the book.


Shortly after the introductions, when Cornelius Fudge announces that the game is ready to begin, there's a flash of light and suddenly it's over. The Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione are back in their tents celebrating the victory, which was Ireland, but I don't remember if they're clear about that in the movie.

When I first saw the movie, I definitely remember being confused. Where was the Quidditch? They clearly knew how to shoot it because it had been featured in the three previous films. I'm sure the visual effects were available because they did fine both in the Quidditch introduction and in the Triwizard tasks. What was the reason here? Timing? It feels like a weak reason when that was such a huge visual treat that I'm sure more people than myself were looking forward to.

It could have been amazing and that is what I would have changed about this movie. I would definitely have filmed the Quidditch World Cup properly. It would have been beautiful and a fun aspect of Goblet of Fire.








All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment