Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Want to Finally Read in 2017


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. Check out the Goodreads group here.

My to-be-read pile is enormous, like monstrous enormous.


It feels like my own Black Books and I wouldn't have it any other way. With so many good books coming out all the time, it stands to reason that I would eventually buy more than I could keep up with in the reading. I tend to buy books as I see them if I have the money because I have this weird fear that if I don't, I might never find it again or I won't be able to read it when I want to. So, I buy it, I have it, I'll read it eventually.

This means my TBR spans the shelves and I have several books on it from years past that I really want to read, but this year was really the year of rereads. This week's theme got me to think about the five that I wanted to read the most that have been neglected for one reason or another.


The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

These are the first books I put on my Goodreads TBR and I've only read the first two books and the fourth. As there are soon to be seventeen books in the series, I really need to play catch-up, so this entry is a catchall for the series rather than just one volume.


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I've tried to start this book a couple of times, mostly because the main character is a librarian. Any book that is about books, bookstores, libraries, librarians, etc., go on my list simply because they're about something I love. I want to read this and then watch the movie, something else I've been meaning to watch since it came out.


From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

This sounds like the kind of book that I would have loved when I was the age of the kids in the book. I can easily imagine having a dream about running away to a museum, though I would have chosen the Natural History Museum rather than the Metropolitan Museum of Art.


The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

I got this for my husband when it first came out. We're big Holly Black fans in this family, but for some reason I never got around to reading it at the time. However, I did see the book trailer and thought it was really creepy. My husband said yes, it was, and that it perfectly matches the tone of the book. If that's true, I'm really interested in reading it for myself.


A Gentle Madness: Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the Eternal Passion for Books by Nicholas Basbanes

This was a Christmas gift years ago and I feel a slight sense of shame at not having read it yet. From what I remember, Nicholas Basbanes wrote a few books that are essential reading on the subject of reading and readers. It's non-fiction, so maybe that's what kept me from picking it up and reading it straight through? I hope I can make it through in 2017 because I'm pretty sure this was on a list for 2016 and I forgot.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

4 comments:

  1. I loooove The Darkest Part of the Forest! TOTAL RECOMMEND. I think it might be my favourite Holly Black book ever?!? *flails* And I also loved The Mixed Up Files (hhaha, not even going to attempt to spell the rest😂) as a kid and I think I re-read it a dozen times?! Because who doesn't dream of running away to live in a museum?! (Well, okay, my childhood dream was to live in a library but still. Same sort of thing. hehe.)
    I hope you get to these soon! And I totally understand the feel of one's TBR getting away from them. *glances at my mountainous TBR in the distance* That would be mine too.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I hope to get these especially. When I was in the city last month and we went to the Natural History Museum, I was wondering if I could live in the Aquatic Mammals Exhibit. It's so peaceful in there and beautiful. :D

      Delete
  2. I wish I could tell you my thoughts but I haven't actually read any of them... aside from hearing good things about The Darkest Part of the Forest, so I'm curious to know what you think of it. ^_^

    Also, yes, that TBR pile. I think I could use it as a weapon to wield off unwanted people. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the owner of Black Books tries to do, though he's actually supposed to be selling them so it's not really successful? >.< Bernard is a weird guy, but that show is funny in a sarcastic, British humor sort of way. Watch it if you can!

      I'll definitely review The Darkest Part of the Forest when I get to it, so I promise to let you know what I think. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete