Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top 10 Tuesday: Books Set Outside the US


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme that is brought to us by The Broke & the Bookish. Check out the topic list here.

I love reading books from all over, even if it is sometimes comforting to read them from a setting I'm familiar with, aka the US. Someday I hope to travel and visit some of the places that are mentioned in these books, but until then I shall read about them and share them with you, fellow readers. This Top 10 Tuesday's topic is about sharing our favorite reads that take place outside of the US and I have compiled just such a list for you today.

10. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella



This is one of the few books I've actually enjoyed that talked about mental illness and didn't make it sound ridiculous. 

Setting: London, if I remember correctly



I thought this book to be very beautiful. It imitated it's heroine and left me wanting more every time I put it down.

Setting; I forget the exact country, but I believe it's somewhere in the Middle  East.



There's quite a lot I would give to be able to visit the circus just once. Maybe someday it will appear, but until then I will have to read it again and again and simply dream.

Setting: This one might be cheating a little as there are a couple chapters that take place in the US, but for the most part it doesn't. There are stops all over the world, primarily in Europe. Germany, France, etc. You name it, the Cirque du Reves probably stopped there.



I liked this collection of letters because it was about books, yes, but it was also about a friendship that developed slowly and without a lot of complicated nonsense. There wasn't much in the way of distraction and you could concentrate on the people involved rather than background noise.

Setting: This one is also a little bit of a cheat, as one half of the writing pair is located in the US, but oh well. :P



This book has one of my favorite heroines of all time. She's much more vicious than any in recent memory and her story flowed so well it was a pity to be done with it (for now; it was only the first book in a new series).

Setting: Transylvania, Wallachia



These were some of my favorite stories as a child. They're great for bedtime and if they're a little sad now, being a grown up and all, I don't think I realized it as a child.

Setting: France



This had beauty, tragedy, and all manner of monsters in it. It's only the first book! How much more can one person's heart take? I'll find out eventually, as I have the rest of the series ready to go, but until then. tears, people, and lots of 'em!

Setting: Prague



When I picked this up, I was fascinated. I'm used to reading books told with text and pictures as I read a lot of manga, but this was different.  The illustrations were near on art work, as they're a misty charcoal quality, and the story was like a fairy tale. It was wondrous and sad and beautiful and, honestly, quite a lot of the things you'd expect in a fairy tale.

Setting: Paris, France



If it hadn't been for work, this easily would've been a book I had read in one sitting. It's eerie and there's just the right amount of mystery as to what's going on. You can never quite tell whether  there's magic or not, whether the tree is actually what the MC thinks it is or not. Is it all real or just the deepest wish of a grieving girl? You'll have to read it find out for yourself. The journey is not to be missed.

Setting: Great Britain



This was an odd book that tricked me at first because I didn't realize the author, William Goldman, was making fun of things (aka S. Morgenstern not being real, for one). It's a grand adventure and one that transcends the page into film beautifully. Whether you first find it via one or the other, reading about Westley and Buttercup will be funny, sad, baffling, and all other sorts of insanity.

Setting: Florin/Gilder (not real countries, but based off places in Europe)







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment