Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Want to Re-Read


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. Check out the Goodreads group here.

I love to re-read books, even when I'm being threatened by my over enormous TBR pile. That is the ultimate compliment to be paid a book, I think, That you would spend your time and energy revisiting that story means that there was something special about it. The author clearly did something right in that case.

This week I'll share with you five books that I want to re-read in particular (leaving out, of course, Harry Potter, because otherwise I'd be here all day talking about them, but YES, I will always re-read HP).


Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

I first read this book before I ever visited the Strand, where a great deal of the action takes place. Having since visited it, I want to re-read this story and be able to accurately picture all the things that these characters do as they engage in dare after dare. I love how well Rachel and David write together and I look forward to not only re-reading this book, but to getting my hands on the sequel as well.


The Art of Asking, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer

Amanda Palmer is an amazing person in a lot of ways. She's smart, brave, fearless. When things do get to her, she doesn't sugar coat them. Her honesty is brutal and I think that's something that is sorely needed sometimes. She doesn't glamorize her life. Instead she uses her experience as a teaching tool for people that might need help. From what I can tell, she's the kind of person that would give you the last bite of food on her plate or the coat off her back is you needed it and asked. I want to re-read this book and see what I can learn upon a second reading. I think she has a lot more to teach.


The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

This was a multi-layered mystery and I'm not sure that I remember all the twists and turns that it takes. I need to re-read it to get back to the core of the story and figure out what really happened to these characters.


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I loved the magical environment of the Circus the first time and I want to read it again, this time listening to it from the ever wonderful narrator Jim Dale. That's bound to add just another layer to the experience of this tale.


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has long been my favorite Betty Smith book. It's tale of Francie Nolan's childhood in poverty is poignant and so important in this day. We can't forget that this is what it was like for thousands of people, the children of immigrants, in the early 1900s, and what it is still like for millions of poor people.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment