Thursday, September 10, 2015

Monthly Recommendations: Books Set in School

First, I want to thank Aria Mia. I saw her video (linked here) and it led me to this wonderful new Goodreads group. Trina from Between Chapters and Kayla Rayne have put together the group Monthly Recommendations where there is a theme and you can suggest as many or as few titles as you like for the month.

Second, here is my list, in no particular order, for this month's theme: Books Set in School


Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year.

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins is a good, light read, perfect for easing yourself back into reading if, perhaps, you've recently finished a book that was heavy on the feels (I'm looking at you, Throne of Glass). There are two more books in the "series", Lola and the Boy Next Door & Isla and the Happily Ever After. Each book is set in a major city and are loosely connected with returning characters that you'll be sure to smile at.


Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy. He lives with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and cousin Dudley, who are mean to him and make him sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. (Dudley, however, has two bedrooms, one to sleep in and one for all his toys and games.) Then Harry starts receiving mysterious letters and his life is changed forever. He is whisked away by a beetle-eyed giant of a man and enrolled at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The reason: Harry Potter is a wizard!

Aria probably said it best when she said that you should just assume any recommendation list will somehow be tied to Harry Potter. She is right, it is a lovely series, and each book leads you deeper and deeper into the wizarding world. It almost makes going to school worth it if the school could be like Hogwarts.


At seventeen, overachieving Lane finds himself at Latham House, a sanatorium for teens suffering from an incurable strain of tuberculosis. Part hospital and part boarding school, Latham is a place of endless rules and confusing rituals, where it's easier to fail breakfast than it is to flunk French.

Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider is an amazing books that takes places at, of course, a school, but a very special one: every student here is suffering from a drug resistant strain of tuberculosis that has no known cure. I wasn't sure when I first read this whether it would be too depressing to get through, but I think that it shows very well how much teenagers can go through and still come out as themselves. A lot of people might not think that teens are capable of much, but what they go through in this book, all while attending a secluded high school, speaks volumes to their stubborn spirit.


It is Chu's first day of school. Chu is nervous.

He hopes the other boys and girls will be nice. Will they like him?

What will happen at school today?

Will Chu do what Chu does best?

As a mother of a young child, I do spend my fair share of time reading picture books. This is a good one that I found when my son was starting preschool. I read it to him again at the start of this school year. It is Chu's First Day of School by Neil Gaiman. Not only do I get to enjoy one of my favorite authors, but I get to see charming illustrations set to a story that helps kids feel better about their first day of school.

That is all that I have for you during this, my first monthly recommendations list. I hope you enjoyed it. Please let me know if you've read any of these books, what you think of my recommendations, or any old thing relating to books.

All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment