Friday, September 25, 2015

TAG: Unpopular Opinions Tag

Time for another TAG post and I thought that this week I'd tackle the Unpopular Opinions Tag (originally created by The Book Archer on Youtube. It is funny every time I see it on Booktube, so I wanted to take a crack at it. Regulatory heads up: These are my opinions, which you may or may not agree with. I am sorry if you are offended, but again, these are just my opinions. :)

1. What is a popular book or series that you didn't like?



I tried reading this because I saw that a lot of people were enjoying it and it was a movie series that had actually progressed beyond the first movie. I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

I was very, very wrong.

I got a copy from the library and tried to read it because it sounded like such a great story, but the writing put me off straight away and I couldn't finish the first book.

2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you liked.



This one is sort of hit or miss, as the people that have read it often seem to either really like it or really hate it. My answer is The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer. I can admit that there are some flaws with the series, but overall I really enjoyed the series.

3. Name a love triangle where you didn't love the person that the MC ended up with.

I have two answers for this.


I have not yet finished this series, so perhaps things will change, but at the end of Throne of Glass, I see Celaena ending up with Chaol which didn't sit right with me. Here you have Dorian, offering up everything he has and is, and she doesn't think it'll be a good idea. Granted she has some good reasons, but since when has love ever been sane?


I do not like Hermione ending up with Ron. I couldn't see how these would really end well. It felt very forced, like Hermione had to end up with one of the other two in the Golden Trio. I don't think she should have ended up with either of them and I don't have someone better for her, but I don't think Ron was it.

4. A popular genre that you don't often reach for.

I don't like reading non-fiction much at all, especially biographies. There are a few exceptions, but not many. I also don't care for fiction books that focus on religion. They tend to rub me the wrong way and I just have no interest in them.

5. A popular character that you didn't like.


For this question I chose Greg Gaines from Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. I couldn't stand him during the course of this book. I didn't think that there was any substance to his character. I didn't find him relateable, I couldn't feel sorry for him, whether it was because his love interest was dying or his best friend was growing away from him.

When the secondary character is by far the most interesting thing going in the story, I think there's a problem with your narrative, especially since it was told in the first person.

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.


I thought that I would like Libba Bray's books, but it seems like the idea of the plot is more appealing than the execution of them. I've tried to read her books and the only one that I could get through was A Great and Terrible Beauty, but even that was a bit hard going. I might continue with that series, but The Diviners was the one that got me to thinking that maybe Libba Bray just isn't my cup of tea.

7. A popular trope you are tired of seeing.

I am beyond sick of instalove. It doesn't make sense! Instant attraction, that's fine, it happens and I can see that, but love is complicated and takes time. You cannot profess your undying love for someone after less than a week!

8. Name a series that you don't have an interest in reading.


50 Shades of Grey. I tried to start the first one, but I have no interest in completing it. The writing was terrible, over the top, and I can't see any way for it to be redeemed.

9. Name a tv series or movie that you enjoyed more than the book.


The movie eliminated a lot of the excess that the book had. The boring bits for the most part were kept out of the film and the characters were redeemed. Some plot lines were twisted, but I think they ended up in good places.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment