Thursday, February 25, 2016

Harry Potter Thursday: What books would you recommend to Luna?

Harry Potter Thursday is a weekly meme created by Uncorked Thoughts.

Luna Lovegood is easily my favorite character in the Harry Potter novels. It's a shame that we don't get introduced to her until book five because she'd have been a great person to see around.

I know Hermione is meant to be the bookworm icon of the series, and I'll admit that I see her that way too, but I think that Luna is just as much of a book nerd, or at least would be given half the chance. She's in Ravenclaw, for crying out loud. I can picture gushing about the latest book I've read and feeling weird because I'm fangirling, but then she comes up with this quote:


This week's topic is meant to be what books I'd recommend to Luna. The list would be insanely long and detailed if I listed all of the ones I'd use, so I'll try to limit it to just a few.

The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi


It's a short series of five books that I think Luna would find charming. She's got a great interest in magical creatures, especially the sort that even wizards don't think exist.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


I'm not sure whether the people who do magic in this book would be considered Muggles or not, but from the wizarding world perspective I think they would be. So, imagine reading this book as Luna, a witch, and seeing how clever these Muggles are to figure out magic on their own and create something as wondrous as Le Cirque des Rêves.

R.O.D. Read or Die by Hideyuki Kurata


This series and it's spin off R.O.D. Read or Dream feature women that can manipulate paper into any form they choose, including animals and weapons. They're also the biggest book nerds you'll ever find (with the possible exception of Anita from Read or Dream; not a big book person, that one).

I think Luna would find their book love fascinating, not to mention that their love transcends the norm and becomes something they can use aka paper magic.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman


I think that if Luna were to read this book or see the movie, she might start thinking about what the Other Mother, if the book or movie got it straight, and if not trying to figure it out for herself.

Of course, if she already knows and accepts that the Other Mother is a beldam, then she might be criticizing Coraline and pointing out all the clues that would have led to the discovery of OM's true identity long before it's actually revealed.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

2 comments:

  1. Fun topic! I think Luna is probably a bookworm too, though I'm sure she reads more fantastical stuff than Hermione. haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I think that's why she'd like the Spiderwick Chronicles especially, because she and her father are always talking about weird creatures like nargles that no one else seems to have heard of.

      Delete