Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Best Suggested Books You Loved

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Gingerreadslainey. Check out the Goodreads group here.

I love getting suggestions for books. Most of the time they turn out really well and I love them just as much as the person who recommended them to me.

This week's topic features my favorite books that have been recommended to me. If I can, I'll link to the person that recommended the title to me.

5. Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory


Thank you to Sam @ Novels and Nonsense for recommending this series (i.e. talking about it so much that I finally had to pick it up :D ). My husband and I have become big fans and keep requesting them from the library. Hopefully they'll finally buy their own copies so more people in our area can read these hilarious volumes.

4. The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare


It feels like everyone who has read young adult novels has recommended these two series and I've finally started them with the first book of The Infernal Devices, Clockwork Angels. It's a very interesting series so far and has a lot of elements that I look for when I read. My husband has read the whole series and keeps telling me I need to read the series because he enjoyed it a lot. It's helpful to have him around because he can help answer all the questions these books are raising as I read them.

3. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara


I'm not sure who recommended this one, as it was a general recommendation not one targeted at my specifically, but I think it was Raeleen @ Padfootandprongs07.

I haven't finished it yet because it was a library copy that had to go back, but so far it is one of the best, msot hard hitting books I've read. It's got a realistic writing style and a lot of issues faced by the characters that are exciting, if not good for them. These things make for a good story and I'm anxious to get a copy and read it fully.

2. The Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley


A co-worker at the time recommended this series. I like comics, I like video games, I liked the look of the trailer for the movie that was coming out at the time, Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I didn't know at the time that it was a comic series in its own right. I'm glad this co-worker knew, though, because I found not only a series that I love, but an author whose other comics are just as great as this series is.

1. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley



Aria Mia always knows what books I'll like. We share very similar tastes and I think this was one of the first books she ever suggested, though there have been many more. I'd heard of The Rook previously, but I wasn't sure if I'd like it. Thankfully I listened to Aria and found myself having adventures with Myfanwy Thomas, the Rook in England for the supernatural secret service!







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment