Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Top 10 Tuesday: Top 10 Stephen King Novels On My TBR


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly meme that is brought to us by The Broke & the Bookish. Check out the topic list here.

This week's Top 10 Tuesday is a Halloween themed freebie. When I think of Halloween, I think horror. When I think horror and fiction, I first think of the master of horror, Stephen King. I haven't read as many of his books as I'd like because I usually need a recovery period after reading one; he's very good at getting into your head and under your skin. I do want to read more, though, so to celebrate Halloween, I'm sharing with you the Top 10 Stephen King Novels On My TBR.

10. 11/22/63


I'm not entirely sure this is one of his more horror-y books; oh well. I picked this paperback up and though it sounded interesting. There's some kind of time travel involved, always a plus, and I've become more interested in our history lately, so it being centered around the day that JFK was assassinated adds some interest. I wonder what Stephen King's going to have to say about time travel?

9. Firestarter


A pyrokinetic child? Oh boy. This will either be really interesting or really bad (as in all adults better run their asses off and leave some cake behind for that kid or else they're toast!).

8. Cell


Cell is probably the most likely scenario out of any that King has written and that should scare the hell out of anyone. I'm anxious to read this one and see where the premise goes: a zombie horde created by a signal delivered via cell phone? Knowing how many cell phones are out there, we'd be doomed very quickly.

7. Cujo


Puppy! ;_; I already think I know what's coming, so there's definitely some trepidation towards this title. Am I going to still love dogs as much as I do now after reading this book? I've heard that yes, so that makes me feel better, but I still have the feeling that I shouldn't read this while around any, similar to how I probably shouldn't have watched a certain movie under similar circumstances (see my entry for Pet Semetary).

6. Christine


I've long had the sneaking suspicion that I would die in some sort of car accident, whether it was my fault or someone else's. Christine, therefore, holds a certain amount of terror for me before I even turn to page one. A killer car? Yikes. Hopefully reading the book will help me confront some of my distrust of motorvehicles.

5. Under the Dome


Big books need love and boy is this a big book. I think it is the biggest of all King books. It's also one of the ones that scares me on a more personal level. While the dome is presumably quite large so as to encompass a small town, the thought of being trapped there brings up feelings of claustrophobia and I think I'd end up going mad before long if I were stuck there, supernatural forces or no.

4. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1)


I've heard that this is a classic among King fans and now that there's a television/movie production coming out with Idris Elba in it <3, it's been moved up higher on the TBR. 

3. It


Any time I ask someone to recommend a Stephen King novel, this is one of the ones they mention. I'm a bit hesitant to read it at the moment because of all the clown nonsense going on in the US, especially since it has been creeping closer to my hometown. It is on the list, but cautiously.

2. Pet Semetary


I made two mistakes when I watched this movie: 1) I watched it around 2 a.m. in the morning, which in and of itself wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for 2) I watched it when my son was around the same age as the child in film. Not having known what the film was all about, that was a BIG oops!

However, I do still want to read the book because the story was really good at getting me into a sufficiently freaked out mood and that's a horror movie/book's job, right?

1. The Shining


I have seen the Stanley Kubrick movie and loved it. It was satisfyingly scary and a real treat to watch after dark. I'm particularly interested in reading the book because I have heard that there was a lot of controversy regarding the execution of this adaptation, certain changes that were made, that sort of thing. Being able to read the original source material should prove interesting, to say the least. 


No comments:

Post a Comment