Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books That Took You the Longest to Finish


Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Thoughts on Tomes. Check out the Goodreads group here.

Some books just take longer to get through than others. Is it the writing that doesn't flow, the action that isn't fast paced enough? It depends on the book, really, and below are the five books that I think took me the longest to read along with how long it took me to read them.

5. P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han


Read time: 18 Days

This one might have had a lot to do with the fact that I disliked the narrator for the audiobook. Her voice wasn't appealing at all, but I was trying to read this while I was working so I ended up switching between the audiobook and the physical book.

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Read time: 26 days

This was an okay book for the first half, but the second half felt really slow to me. Things just weren't clear or they were dull, so that made me less interested in actually finishing the book. This is one of the few instances where I think the movie was better than the book.

3. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


Read time: 87 Days
Oh god, this book was just so terrible and reading it was felt tortuous, but I try so hard not to dnf books. That's the only reason I finished this. That, and it was before I had my revelation about there being too many books to worry about the ones that just weren't working out.

Nothing really happens in this book and I held out for hope that that would change for far too long. It was a one star read, through and through.

2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Read time: 114 days

I'm not sure why this one took so long. Maybe it was the pictures that threw me off, the writing was a it slow? I honestly don't know. I liked it well enough in the end, but yeah, it took me a little over three months to get there.

1. All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner


Read time: 139 days

This one, I'll be honest, was not entirely the book's fault. I was reading it at work and thus was only about to read it about a chapter at a time. When you can only read a book a chapter at a time three days a week (if you're lucky) then it's going to take some time. This is, I think, the longest it's ever taken me to actually read a book I was (semi) serious about reading, so it takes the number one slot today.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I love The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's okay though..hah I did really love the movie too, so I can see how that would work better for some than the book.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete