Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Audiobooks

I like listening to audiobooks when I'm doing work in my office. It makes things go a lot faster and infinitely more enjoyable. These are some of the best ones I've found to date:

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella, narrated by Emily Gray


I think that I borrowed this title from the library for a road trip. The book is funny enough as it is because, let's face it, Becky Bloomwood is ridiculous and mocking her is a great time. Emily Gray, the narrator, really captured the silliness of the main character.

4. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, narrated by Lynn Redgrave


I always like this story, but hearing it read by Lynn Redgrave really brought these characters to life. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes the narrators can't find a rhythm that suites the story and that ruins the experience for the reader. Lynn, however, was excellent. If you closed your eyes, it was all the easier to picture the world of Inkheart and the people living within it.

3. Coraline by Neil Gaiman, narrated by Neil Gaiman


I love that Neil Gaiman narrates most, if not all, of his works. His voice works well across the board for so many genres, it's incredible. This one is my favorite for it's subtle creepiness factor and how eerie Neil manages to sound, especially on the other side of the door with the Other family.

2. The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer, narrated by Amanda Palmer


I still have a lot of problems being the kind of person I wish I was, but this book helped me figure a lot of things out, mainly what kind of person I want to be. I'm not brave enough yet to do all the things or be all the things I want, but hearing Amanda talk about her history helps me to think sometimes.

The thing I like about this audio book, besides the book itself, is that it is interspersed with Amanda's music from throughout her career. That's an added touch that I wasn't expected when I first listened to it.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling, narrated by Jim Dale


Jim Dale is one of the most talented narrators that I've ever come across. He was able to take the people within the Harry Potter series and make a unique voice for each of them. Considering the cast contains hundreds of characters, that is no mean feat! 







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.





No comments:

Post a Comment