Friday, January 29, 2016

TAG: Reader Problems

I saw this post initially on Sierra's blog, who in turn saw it on Nori's blog.

The questions are interesting and are, frankly, ones that I think a lot of readers get (probably why it's called  Reader Problems). Let me know what you think of my answers and I'd love to see some of yours in return.

1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

I would usually read whatever was the most recent book to come into the house, whether it was a gift, purchased, or borrowed from the library.

If I really couldn't decide, I might take to Twitter and post a poll.

2. You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

Halfway is more than enough to figure this out and I would probably dnf the book at that point. There have been one or two exceptions where I powered through, but there are too many books to read in life to worry about finishing one that just isn't working out.

3. The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

I might try to catch up, depending on how far away I am. The best way to catch up would be to read a lot of manga. A volume of manga tends to go a lot faster for me than a novel.

4. The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?

This didn't bother me so much until I started becoming more involved in the bookish community. Now it grates on my nerves a bit. To solve this problem, I'd buy the matching cover. If it didn't exist, I would try and hold out on purchasing a copy of the mismatched book in the hopes that the publisher would fix it.

5. Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?

I give it to my husband and see what he thinks, first off. If he doesn't get to it, I'd likely check Twitter or BookTube to see if there was anyone who shared a similar opinion.

6. You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

I've come to the realization that I don't care if I cry in public over a book. If I'm genuinely sad because of the story, I'll let the tears come. True story: I started crying near the end of The Fault in Our Stars and I was reading that book at work.

7. A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?!?!?

I'd try to read the sequel and see if I could remember things as I go. If I get too far into the book and realize I'm not remembering anyone/any
thing, I'll stop, re-read the first book, then go back to the sequel.

8. You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

The only person that I would lend a book out to is my mother. This is only because she generally respects books and when she doesn't, she replaces it if I ask.

For everyone else, I would explain that the last time I lent a book out, a good condition paperback came back with the spine destroyed and pages falling out. That one bad person ruined it for everyone, sorry.

9. Reading ADD. You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

I kind of power through it. I might pick up and put down even more books before the slump is over. Sometimes I'll try and distract myself with one of my other hobbies, but it usually come down to sampling every book that takes my fancy before finding something that sticks.

10. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

I'll buy whatever I have the money for at the time. If I have the cash, I buy them all. If not, then I'll probably beg my library to buy them so that I (and others, of course) can enjoy them.

11. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

It depends on how badly I wanted them. I might get to a few right away, but a lot end up on a shelf for a few weeks, maybe months depending on the amount of books coming out at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment