Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books You DNF

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Gingerreadslainey. Check out the Goodreads group here.

I hate that this topic has to exist. It stinks that there are books that I can't finish. Unfortunately, it does happen, though thankfully not very often.

This week I only have four books to put on the list.  I started keeping track of my DNF books on Goodreads last year and these are the only ones thus far. I'm counting them down from the most recent to the oldest one.

4. You Were Here by Cori McCarthy


I made it further in this one than I thought it would and probably further than any other DNF book on this list (30%, by the way).

The premise was really promising and it might have even been a good book to read when dealing with grief, but it really didn't pan out that way.

One of the things I liked was that the different points of view were presented in different ways. For example, Mik's chapters were written like a graphic novel. One of the other boys' chapters were represented by dark/cool/edgy illustrations. 

Besides those two good p.o.v.s., though, were other one that just dragged the story down and made it grind to a halt. Maybe if the book had stayed with one p.o.v. like Jaycee and how she was coping with her brother's death it would've worked out better, but for me it didn't.

3. Call Me, Maybe by Ellie Cahill


I wanted to like this book. Occasionally a light, fluffy read can be good, even cathartic. This was not a book that met that criteria.

The main character was a foolish, selfish girl that made a mistake and refused to learn from it, no matter what others in her life said or tried to do to prevent it.

I tried to give Clementine (the MC) a chance, but after she was nearly involved in a scandal and then, after "recovering" from it, repeating those same actions with no clue as to how it was a bad idea or similar to the previous situation, I couldn't stand to read about her for one more minute. I DNF'd this book at 36%.

2. Movie Game by Micahel Ebner


This one I stopped reading a bit before my usual 25% because I couldn't stand a few factors.

The plot was muddled, the writing bored me to tears, and there was no sense of connection with Joe, the main character. He acted like a petulent child and while he might have had some reasons to be that way, his reaction to those instances turned him from a sympathetic character to someone I wanted to slap for being such a jerk.

1. Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman


I really wanted to like this book because around the time that I started it, I was getting into historical fiction and this book was highly lauded by quite a few people on Twitter. I tried to make it work, but there were too many things bothering me. 

I started out listening to it as an audio book, but as I was listening to it, I thought that the writing style was coming across very stilted and that it involved more telling than showing. I switched to a physical copy to see if that would improve the experience, but it didn't.

The multiple points of view weren't a help either. The problem with it in this instance was that there was one narrator in particular that I wanted to skip over whenever I came to his chapters (Jacob). When a book makes me want to skip huge parts of it, I end up dreading reading it.







All pictures, quotes, and videos belong to their respective owners. I use them here solely for the purpose of review and commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment